Watch the short video below to learn about us and what it's like developing a backpack with a factory here in China.
Professional Backpack Manufacturing service based in South China
We have a decade of experience in China working with all kinds of backpack & bag development. We pride ourselves on doing small quantity OEM work well for a range of clients in the US, the UK, Australia, New Zealand & Canada.
Private label manufacturers in China are very common, but it is the relationship you develop with your supplier that determines the success of your manufacturing opportunity.
We are friendly, warm, open and receptive to all enquiries however small. We guarantee you will enjoy working with The idea Lab.
The Idea Lab is a premier off shore manufacturing company based in Guangzhou, China since 2009, specialising in backpack design and development for a variety of clients.
Got an idea for a backpack design but not too sure where or how to start?
Does the Idea Lab have
As most of our backpack work is bespoke, we don't have a catalogue. However If you are looking to purchase off the shelf then continue straight to our enquiry page and we will be in touch with you within 1 working day. Just simply submit to us a reference picture and we can quote visually based on standard materials.
I have a design for
a backpack can
Yes we can. With our amazing team of technical designers and artists we can turn your idea into a factory ready technical drawing in 7 days. The drawing when finished is 100% yours to do with what you want. A complete technical drawing allowes you to get quotes from factories and develop samples.
What kind of backpacks and rucksacks do
We make a wide range of backpacks from simple promotional backpacks with a lower price point to higher end more technical backpacks that have specific material and load bearing requirements.
For a more specific answer, send us a note by clicking the contact us button below.
What kinds of companies do you work with?
We have had the pleasure of working with a wide range of companies based in the US, the UK, Australia, New Zealand & Canada. Generally the theme is the same, in that people come to us when they want us to help visualise their idea. So if you have an idea and don't know where to start, get in touch.
Why choose the Idea Lab?
We have been positioned in China since 2009, meaning we have amassed a huge network of fabulous suppliers that are competitively priced and professional.
By choosing the idea lab you are working with a team of young professionals who love China and love backpacks. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Contact US via the form to talk to us completely free to see how we can help you bring your idea to life.
What factors affect the strength and versatility
of a fabric?
The fabric you choose will affect the overall quality of the bag. Too light and the bag will easily and quickly deteriorate, too heavy and you will create an impractical product. We have to pair the best material with your backpack design.
1. Weight. This is measured in Denier. The unit of the yarn's fineness is equal to 1g per 9000 metres per yarn. The higher the Denier, the heavier and stronger (more durable) the fabric is.
2. Tenacity. This is the tear strength. The fabrics ability to resist more tearing after an initial tear. Tenacity varies according to different fabrics.
3. Tensile Strength. This differs between fabrics. The construction, weave, material and denier all affect the tensile strength of a backpacks fabric.
4. Water resistance. Some fabrics have been treated with water resistant coatings to make them able to repel water droplets. Aside from treatment, the weave also affects the fabrics ability to resist water.
If you are unsure which fabric is best for your backpack then we are in a position to help. With over 10 years experience in working in this Industry The Idea Lab is here to match your product to the correct fabric.
What materials are backpacks made from?
We work with a range of materials. The most commonly used ones are:
1. Cordura Nylon. This is the Royal Marines of fabrics in the market place. Tough as old boots and a first choice for any hard wearing outdoor equipment. Typically it is air treated.
2. Cotton Canvas. A good budget option but not very durable and known to flake out with wet weather and the elements. It is widely used in inexpensive bags such as promo bags and totes.
3. Nylon. Reliable like a Nissan. Will never let you down. It can be treated with many different finishes and is a very versatile fabric.
4. Ripstop Nylon. Like Ronseal. Does exactly what it says on the tin. It does not rip. This is because of the heavy threads.
5. PVC Fabric. Multi functional with variations in colour, durability and waterproofing. Options for flame retardation and tear resistance make it a good choice for work related products.
6.Pack Cloth Nylon. A heavier fabric than other fabrics but durable because of the heavy threads. Often comes puncture resistant. If only my bike tires were made of the same stuff!!
7. Leather. Vegans of the world unite. This is one of the most classic and probably earliest fabrics using in making backpacks and bags. Although pricey, working with leather will deliver you a premium product that is stylish and long lasting. PU leather also falls in the same category.
8. Dyneema. Any military contractors out there, this is the stuff for you. Known to be bullet proof its strong capabilities have seen it applied to a wide range of products from fishing nets to safety gloves.
Where do you manufacture your bags?
China is still the best place in the world to make backpacks. Nowhere can match the skill level, infrastructure and competitive pricing that factories in China give. We use a variety of well placed backpack manufacturers depending on your design, material and order quantity
How much do
The biggest cost for making samples is time and energy. The Idea lab wants your samples to be as close to the final product as possible.
Samples also work to highlight potential flaws in your design. If we have the samples in stock, then there is a flat fee of around $75 + the cost of shipping.
If The Idea Lab has to manufacture samples from your design the fee is $250. However all sample fees are refundable against minimum order quantities.
How long does it usually take?
What is your MOQ?
What should be my next step?
When we make samples for clients, we make sure they are exact and without mistakes. This means that if the supplier gets it wrong first time. We will remake it.
We work to stringent quality control standards to ensure you get samples that reflect the honest manufacturing capacity of the potential supplier.
Sample production time does vary but typically 7-15 days depending on both the complexity of the design and the availability of materials.
The MOQ or Minimum order quantity is a number given by the factory as an indication of the lowest number they are willing to produce per style.
MOQs vary per suppliers and depend on a number of factors, such as availability of material, quantity that can be dyed, production lines in operation as well as things like workforce.
We appreciate that some businesses are just starting out so we try to facilitate as low as possible. For some designs and ideas we can start as low as 150 pieces, but 300 is an optimum.
Send us an email via the contact us form free of charge. We will assess your design and idea to give you an honest assessment of how much it is going to cost plus what the potential challenges might be.
We pride ourselves on being competitively priced as well as professionals, so go on. Ask us.